Rift is dropping the monthly subs model next month on June 12 and will be joining the already packed free to play wagon. Random thoughts after watching their latest free to play recruitment vid:
1. “No trials. No tricks. No traps.” – I get what they’re trying to convey here. But this free to play tagline could have been stronger. It’s just too defensive for my taste. I’d rather they tell me what makes the game rock — and for me it’s their dynamic events.
2. Stunning free to play trailer. Made me wonder: “Has Rift always been this gorgeous?”
3. Appreciate the assurance that the best items will not be peddled at the cash shop. Put out those torches, pay-to-win zealots.
4. Rift is a fun game as I remember playing it. But not enough for a full sub. Free to play will likely score big with the casuals.
5. No mention at all of Dimensions aka player housing, which is a shame. It is by far one of the game’s most appealing features.